Who Am I?
I’m Jessica, a native San Diegan currently traveling Asia. I love visiting new places and trying new foods, so after college I made it my life and moved abroad. For two years, I taught English in Seoul, South Korea and saved money for future wanderings.
I created Curiosity Travels while in South Korea as a place to write about my experiences, share my travel tips, and inspire others to always try new things, regardless of age, whether it’s abroad or at home. So if it’s drinking snake’s blood, teaching English, learning how to cook Taiwanese wontons, or the quest to complete my 25 Before 25 bucket list, it will be documented here.
I started crossing borders young, through the help of my parents. For a stint, we moved to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba for my Dad’s work (And no, it wasn’t at the prison). Being so young (about 4), the only images that remain are those of the scary banana rats and a beautiful mural behind our house which was painted by a Thai worker and family friend. In the 7th grade, my Dad and I ventured to Peru to spend one week in the Amazon jungle and one week in Cuzco and Machu Picchu. At the time I was more worried about missing out on plans with friends than the new experience to come. Little did I know it would change me forever and leave me with an ever-curious desire to see what the world has to offer.
During college, I studied International Business (emphasizing on Latin America, Spanish and marketing). For my studies, I had the opportunity of living in both Buenos Aires, Argentina and Quito, Ecuador whilst doing some other traveling along the way. After graduation, I decided to make the move to teach English in Seoul.
Random Facts About Me:
- I’m obsessed with food and I’ll try (and try to cook) anything.
- I’ve eaten guinea pig in Ecuador and live octopus in Korea.
- I can speak Spanish, but Asia has been pretty detrimental to my skills.
- I’ve interned for an eco-tourism company in Ecuador.
- I’ve taken a class in Tijuana, Mexico which included interviewing prostitutes, “coyotes” and (corrupt) cops.
- I got pink eye while hiking the Inca Trail with my Dad, and ended up having to take the train to Machu Picchu.
- I’ve held tiger cubs in Thailand, and laid on top of full grown ones.
- I’ve hallucinated in the Amazon from malaria pills.
- I’ve bathed and ridden elephants, in both, Thailand and Malaysia.
- I’ve had cocktails with some of the Yakuza (Japanese mafia), in a small city in Japan.
Now that you know me, let’s be friends-
Have a question about travel? Want to contact me?
Feel free to leave a comment or email me at CuriosityTravels@gmail.com. If you are a business or organization, and you would like to partner or sponsor my site, head over to my Advertise/Sponsor page. Thanks!